Tuesday 25 May 2010

No sex in this city.

I may be committing some kind of sacrilege by saying what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyway! I am not a fan of Sex and The City.
(mg, a fashion blogger who is NOT a fan, is this even possible?
Let me explain... Firstly, I'm not a big TV person, but I've probably seen a majority of the episodes. I drool over all the clothing and consider Carrie to be one of the biggest trendsetters we've seen over the last decade. But at the same time I just find her so ANNOYING and WHINY. And that is reason enough for me not to watch it! 
Sex And The City 2 premiered in New York tonight and the ladies looked vibrant.

Kim Cattrall in a Naeem Khan gown, Kristin Davis, pretty in pink in Jean Desses for Decades, Cynthia Nixon in Carolina Herrera and Sarah Jessica Parker in GORGEOUS Valentino.

The first SATC movie was never shown in the UAE and up until now, word in the local presses is that SATC2 won't be shown here either, despite being based in the nation's capital Abu Dhabi! Strange enough, but no real surprise considering that when they wanted to film (apparently Dubai was first pick, and Abu Dhabi second) the local authorities didn't allow them access. The film crew set off across the desert to Morocco to shoot instead. 

For now, let me just admire the fashion thanks to these speak peak shots courtesy of E! Online.

Hopefully they've toned down a bit and the movie is in good taste, by being culturally considerate. At the end of the day, Abu Dhabi is an Islamic state and even if it wasn't filmed there, the name of the city is all over the film.
Personally, I think the UAE should be welcoming the hype that SATC2 will bring to the country (that's depending on how it's depicted though). Women all over the world adore it, who knows how many will decide to 'book a trip to Abu Dhabi' because they've seen it in the film. But I do also see the other side of the story and know how much the the SATC franchise represents a lot of things that are against the Islamic religion.  This will be an interesting one to watch. I guess I'll just have to wait until the DVD lady comes knocking on my door to get my hands on a copy.

Edit: After watching SATC2 - UH! Worst movie ever! I don't blame UAE government for refusing to let them film here!

4 comments:

  1. I too have a confession, never watched an episode! But have watched the first movie and am planning to watch the second, all the hype and glamour (just look at those pics!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that second last picture looks like fun, wouldn't mind being there!
    xxx DJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is exactly how me and my girlfriends got to watch SATC1!!the ever loyal dvd lady lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol at the beginning of Sex&City "fever" i wasn't not a fan too! Except Samantha luxury drill i finally loved to follow their friendship relation and the way it evolves.

    ReplyDelete